Monday, June 21, 2010

I Have Come Of Age.

I can't stop repeating that line today. See, after stepping out of Trinoma around late afternoon today, I felt as if my childhood has come to fruition, and I'm a grown man entering the cars of the MRT. For so long a time, eleven years to be exact, I have been waiting for a specific scenery to kill my curiosity. And just as I was about to lose hope (also due to my eagerness to grow up) and moved on to seemingly better things, a glimpse of it showed when I least expected, leaving me drooling and hating on how much of a tease it was.

I still remember watching Alice in Wonderland in Eastwood's expensive cinemas. We were a bit early in entering, as I would always, just to see the trailers! And it was the best decision of my life so far. Among other Disney teasers, there was one that really caught my attention. Granted, I had to Youtube it to remember the exact scenes from the trailer, I still wouldn't have forgotten Woody's makeshift signboard and Buzz' "authentic" one. Nevertheless, the nostalgia of that less-than-two-minute clip excited me to no end. Particularly one symbol - the 3 in "Toy Story 3."

WARNING: Subtle spoilers alert.

I don't want to spoil you or anything, but I just can't contain how I feel in having completed a portion of my childhood. See, I was never a fan of toys. I had limited imagination, and of the few doses I had, it all went to books, so I really didn't get much fun from action figures and toy trucks. (Although,I had a really strong liking for Remote Controlled cars back then.) And for some reason, all I could find myself doing with said action figures, and some of my cousin's Barbie dolls is stripping their clothes off. Goes to show you my roots, I guess.

Prepartory came and I found a friend in Miks which is when I found myself a copy of the first Toy Story movie on VHS for a birthday gift. I actually still remember playing with the cutter on its plastic case, but that's beside the point! When I asked my mom to play it for me, it opened my eyes to the great wonders of toys and how there are really much to do with them! Sure, I believed they were really alive and I'd often "surprise" them to "catch" what they were doing, but I just end up so amazed on their quickness and agility. Ahh, the innocence of a child.

Needless to say, I was a Toy Story baby, along with my cousin Rafie. In fact, he had it worse. The only way to have him eat, bathe, dress, sleep and go out, was to have you promise him a showing of the movie before and after each activity. EACH! When I spent vacation with him in our uncle's house in Manila, we had, at average, 7 Toy Story film viewings a day. Not that I was complaining, fyi.

In a rare occasion, I liked the last entry of a trilogy the best. Maybe because I was too young to appreciate films thirteen years ago, or maybe Pixar has matured much from their first full-length film. But I find reason in the parallelism of Andy and my co-Toy Story babies. We were playing toys with him when he started showing up in theaters, and now that he's off to college, I've finished a year already. Goes to show you, kids do grow up, and in the process, they outgrow stuff they don't exactly need.

No ownership, no heartbreak. Epic line, Pixar, epic line. Except you have owned my heart in this franchise, and in (what I presume to be) its last film, you broke my childish AND childlike heart.

Thank you for making me become a man, in a way only I can understand how.
Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment