Friday, September 10, 2010

I Never Depended

Always be better than who you were yesterday.

This is my new motto in life. I had long been trying to replace the overspiritual mantra, "Believe in miracles, but not depend on them," that I've been hanging on to since the sixth grade. And, well, my agnosticism should be beside the point, 'cause I have come to realize that mottos should be proactive, instead of beeing too passive. I mean, I believe that people should base their actions on what they should do, and not what they shouldn't.

But is a single maxim enough to draw the line between action and inaction? Will you put off the cringe-inducing concept of fate and destiny for the sake of protecting a statement that feigns profundity more often than not? Moreso, should you neglect timing, decorum, and readiness as just as to prove loyalty to your chosen life sentence?

But there's so much we can do, which is actually less than we what we cannot. But going back to my first paragraph, it's not so much an issue of whether we have the ability to do things, but more of the question on its relevance and importance. How imperative the statements do become is out of the question, for these are stuff we should look out for, in our actions. See what I did there? I actually used the word "should" in an ordinary sentence, in a paragraph about itself. That's how important it is.

Important, however, should not characterize the word itself, but moreso, the action in modifies. I mean, it's easy to do something, and I'm talking of one very particular thing that's so easy to do, I do it every day. But when it comes down to when, where and to whom it really counts, I find myself at a loss of action. I mean, I know it's sincere, I know it's true and I'm half-sure it will make the world a better place than it really is, but when I tried to do it, I stumbled. And with a heavy sigh, I let inaction take the better of me.

And there you go. I guess when t comes right down to it, it doesn't seem that much. But trust me when I tell you that with the many times I've done it before, it has become so difficult to do it now. Perhaps it's the fear of the cycle I've relived at least once already, and this is not something worth that cycle.

I'm sure, in time, I'll find the courage to do it.
But until then, I'll just continue to aim to be better than who I was yesterday.

Or I'd just invent a freeze ray.
To stop the world.

Chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment