Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Odd One Out

So I was browsing through sites, not caring about my assignment in English, when I suddenly came across an advertisement for McDonald's online delivery service. As I always enjoy playing with the drop-down menu that automatically computes your bill like a Mousebreaker game, I clicked it. And well, I almost got myself a Big Mac and its cholesterol goodness. But besides the fact that my parents would kill me if they'd be awaken by a motorcycle engine for just a burger, I was slightly disturbed by how the Big Mac is arranged.

Bun, burger, bread, burger, bun; with condiments and the unhealthiest vegetables in between. Funny, though, and actual cause of disturbance, is in the middle of all the fatty fiasco is the plainest thing you'll see in a fastfood burger, a flat slice of bread, seemingly making the burger a double decker of grilled oily ground beef. Disturbing for me is the fact that this tasteless and least appealing edibility is the centerpiece of a sought-for hunger relief.

I guess it's a manifestation of the happenings of life. It is boring to stay in the middle. I mean it in two ways, actually. On one hand staying in the middle is the flat line; the border between the half-full or the half-empty glass. It's the zero in the number line, or the unbiased referee in a sports game. In other words, you're the one without the side. You're alone. And no, other middlemen don't count cause they're in it for themselves, too. Just like you! And then you realize there's no point in staying in the center, but its security sticks your feet like quicksand in the jungle. You know you don't want to be the one who doesn't have a stand, but if having a stand comes with loss, pain, and humility; is it still worth gaining happiness and a little more pride?

But on another hand, life in the middle is troublesome. See, one who always walk in the middle of the road turns into roadkill first. Graphic as it may seem, it still bores me to tears. I mean, the sidewalks shouldn't be too far away, and one way or another, a walk in the middle guarantees you to death. Whereas, if you stay on one side, you'd appreciate the little surprises that either side brings. Granted, you cannot always glance at the other side as you walk another, but isn't that the essence of not walking in the middle. You eventually choose a side that you'd think is better, and try to go through it as if another side doesn't exist. And once we tire, we cross the street, which isn't exactly a walk in the park, and if this sidewalk suits you, then you stick by it and walk through it until the end. A word of advice, however, if this sidewalk ends up not being the right way for you, make a detour. The side you were once walking on isn't meant to be walked on again.

I don't think I made much sense with this as I did with my other posts. But hey, middleman is me. The one who's confused and everything, the one who pretends to get nothing and feel nothing; yet waits on himself to fall asleep with lingering thoughts of the day written on the nocturnal walls. I guess what I hate the most about being in the middle is there's uncertainty around you.. Not that there's certainty in either side; but you know eventually, it'll make sense. Being in the middle, however, assures you nothing of the sense that comes with one side, whether it be negative or positive.

But then again, the best part of a sandwich is right in the middle.
But apparently, not the Big Mac.

Chill

No comments:

Post a Comment